domingo, fevereiro 27, 2022

Wars: how to avoid them

 

Português

Français

Troubled by the feeling of "absurdité" that invades me every time I hear about some war starting or unfolding in the world, I was taken by a feeling of sadness, last week, with the news about Russia's attack on Ukraine.

I thought about the possibility of some mental illness that might affect leaders who promote war, not knowing if it could be a psychotic break or psychopathy. Attack and kill people? Isn't that madness? Would it be feasible to create a worldwide prophylactic system to prevent such a crisis?

I did some research about the subject on the Internet and came across none other than Einstein, in a letter sent to the also brilliant Freud, who responds with an exquisite analysis of the human being. At the request of the former League of Nations (forerunner of the United Nations), Einstein proposed the subject: "Is there any way of delivering mankind from the menace of war?" (see related links at the end of this text). This exchange of ideas between them took place in 1932, before the Second World War, confirming the concern with the growing tensions in the period between the two great conflicts of the 20th century.

I was (foolishly) flattered to think similarly to the genius of Physics, trying to find the core of the problem in the psychological area, although I also have no experience in this domain. I had talked about it to my younger brother and he also has a similar thought to Einstein, when talking about human instincts and that it would be up to an international organization (UN, for example) to arbitrate conflicts between nations. The apparent obviousness of our assumptions/conclusions, which lead us to the same ideas, do not seem to result in success in practice.

I disagree with the "belief" of some quoted by Freud and, repeating his sentence here, I change one word for another, which I highlighted in bold, and it is how I validate the assertion: "Many people predict that only the universal penetration of Christianity will be able to put an end to wars."

In my opinion, the only answer to all these questions lies in the true fulfillment of these commandments: "Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’" (Matthew, 22: 37-39)

I recommend you to read the letters of Einstein and Freud, in the links below. Very interesting.

~~~~~~

May God have mercy on us!

~~~~~~

Related links:

Why war: a letter from Einstein to Freud

Why war: Freud's reply to Einstein

Various topics

Religion

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário