segunda-feira, maio 14, 2018

Drowning


Version en français
Versão em português 
The instinctive drowning response is silent and limited to subtle movements”                   Francesco A. Pia, Ph.D
Each time I hear about drowning, I remember what happened to me and I would like to give my contribution, to warn people about certain signs, not always obvious, which can save lives.
We imagine that people scream, wave their arms and call for help when they are drowning. It can be like this, but the typical reaction seems very quiet in the eyes of others. For those who are not trained to identify such a situation, the signs may go unnoticed.
When it happened to me, I had what they call “the instinctive drowning response, a silent reaction with limited subtle movements”. I was taking swimming lessons. I was alone in a swimming pool for beginners, the instructor let me practice, because I was doing well in the first exercises, and he was walking around other pools to give instructions to others.
At some point, I did a rough movement and my body turned, so that I was in face-up position. I was not able to go back to the previous position; I did not know how to manage my actions in the aquatic environment. I did not scream, did not try any gesture to call for help, the priority was to breathe; the little time I managed to get my head out of the water was not even enough to complete a breathing cycle, let alone speak anything. I tried to keep my head above the water level, but I did not succeed, my head submerged again and again. I do not know how long it lasted.
I was lucky because the instructor was passing by the pool where I was and he saw I was drowning. I started to hear his voice talking to me; he was giving me instructions to get me out of this situation. My attention turned to the audition, to his voice, and I tried the movements he was recommending me to do, but I failed and my body stubbornly insisted, like a reflex, to make the same attempts I was trying before, which did not bear fruit.
What I find very odd is that the fact of hearing his voice transmitted a calmness so dense to me, making me sure he would save me, that if he had not decided to get me out of the water, I think I would have died in peace. Although conscious, I felt completely unable to overcome this, and I convinced myself that the instructor would see what was happening and would be skilled enough to save me. I became attached to this thought and it calmed me down. Fortunately, he really did it. This event probably did not last more than a few seconds, but it was like an eternity.
After I was safely placed, it was difficult to breathe. I could only exhale. I had a kind of explosive cough several times, without interval for breathing in, and only water came out of my mouth and nose, in form of multiple small spurts. This caused me much distress. What a relief when I finally managed to breathe in some air!
Probably, when he pulled me out of the water, I was in the phase that the larynx closes, a physiological defense reaction that happens just before lungs flood.
When I was able to notice what was happening around me, I saw that everyone's frightened eyes in the academy were turned towards me... After the fear, the shame of almost drowned in a shallow pool took hold of me. You can laugh, but, please, it would be good to explain to everyone, including children, that if we see someone who does not seem to move a lot, the head coming out of the water then submerging, several times, even if there are no signs of distress, it is necessary to ask right away if the person is well. If the person does not answer anything, it’s bad news, because drowning is silent. So we must cry for help, and we must act quickly to save the person.
Please, read the article below, it is very important and informative:

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário