segunda-feira, março 11, 2024

It wasn't Batman (short version)

 

Français

Português

About the need of mosquito nets... and not only for mosquitos!

Once upon a time there was a doctor who was on duty and was called at night, in one of the hospitals where she worked. Yes, it was me. I examined the patient in his room, then went to the duty station to give instructions to the nurse who was there. At one end of the long counter, I began prescribing and filling out forms for tests the patient would have to undergo. At the other end, the nurse was sitting next to the counter, waiting for the paperwork I was producing.

The hospital had interior gardens which gave passage to other wings and departments. It was very hot. The door to the adjoining garden was open, as was the window of the room where I was. A night breeze circulated, pleasantly, and attenuated the heat and the pharmaceutical-hospital odors.

Suddenly, something denser than the breeze comes through the door, rustling in the air – whoosh, whoosh. The room was not big, in an instant the winged monster flew over my head, in a low-flying flight. It didn't touch me, but I felt the air moving very close and saw the animal's shadow on the counter where I was writing. Immediately, I knew it was a bat – and it wasn't Batman.

I was overcome by uncontrollable fear. I barely managed to stifle my screams, which came out like suffocated moans. Terrified, I went towards the nurse, crouched down next to her, shrinking as much as I could, almost in a fetal position, covering my head with my hands. And, even more embarrassing, I believe I was resting my head on her knees – my memory tries to erase this part, but I'm afraid it's true. The nurse remained impassive, perhaps paralyzed by my reaction – a doctor who came to help a patient, panicking because of a bat.

At that point, we no longer knew where the animal was. I quickly returned to my chair, very embarrassed, trying to regain my dignity... lol. To complete the scene, a young man in uniform from the maintenance department arrives, with a huge net similar to that for catching butterflies and with a long handle. He checked everywhere but couldn't find the bat. Perhaps, it exited the way it had entered, or worse, headed to other rooms in the hospital.

This is all very grotesque! A hospital is not a place for bats! Neither for mosquitoes transmitting diseases, nor for mosquitoes period. And let's leave other "hairy" cases for another time...

Every time I remember this episode, I also remember another, which the Brazilian comedian Jô Soares told about Max Nunes, the producer of his show and once a doctor, who was terrified of night butterflies. According to the artist, he spent an entire night in a patient's room, because every time he opened the door to leave, there was a night butterfly flying in the hallway. The patient has never had such a dedicated doctor! It's very funny listening to him recount this case. Well, at least I'm in good company in my fears...lol

But please put up mosquito nets if you want to let air in!

To complete:

I didn't find the video where Jô Soares tells the story, but I found one with Max Nunes' daughter, also in a Jô show (in Portuguese):

https://globoplay.globo.com/v/1365252/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário